Connectivity is something the Xbox has always struggled with. Only using Xbox or Xbox-approved headsets has been a problem gamers have faced for years. Especially compared to the open ecosystems of PC and PlayStation. This has led manufacturers to often produce two headsets, one for PC, one for PlayStation, and one for Xbox. Normally, this is not easy due to the popularity of the Xbox platform.
However, AirPods are not, strictly speaking, a gaming product. This means that Apple will never have the chance to make an Xbox-only version available, so this guide isn’t a straightforward solution, but it’s a very difficult one. This guide explains two ways to connect AirPods to Xbox Series X and S.
The best way to Connect your AirPods to your Xbox Series X or S using the Xbox app
The Xbox app lets you remotely access and play Xbox Series X or S console games on your mobile device or computer, in addition to chatting with friends and sharing gameplay clips. It also provides a great solution for those who want to play with their AirPods. This setting allows your mobile device or computer to act as an “intermediary” that can send audio from your console to your AirPods.
You can then easily connect your AirPods to your mobile device or computer and listen to game audio with built-in Bluetooth audio support. However, two points should be noted here. First, you cannot listen to game audio, in-game chat, and party chat at the same time. Second, there may be a delay in the sound. To use AirPods with your Xbox Series X/S console through the Xbox app, follow the steps:
Easy way to Stream Xbox Series X/S audio to AirPods using the Xbox app
AirPods allow you to play Xbox games by using the Xbox Remote. As mentioned above, this feature allows you to access the games installed on your Xbox console. You can also control your Xbox remotely, such as by turning it on and off.
To use Xbox Remote Play, you must meet the following installation and system requirements:
- Xbox app (PC or mobile, depending on your configuration).
- Xbox One console, or Xbox Series X/S.
- Xbox Wireless Controller that is Bluetooth-compatible
A compatible device includes an Android 6.0 or later, iOS 13 or later, or a PC running Windows 10 or 11.
Bluetooth 4.0 or later connection.
An Xbox profile is connected to a Microsoft account.
5 GHz internet access (minimum 7–10 Mbps).
You have to turn on remote play on your Xbox console before you can connect your AirPods. Step:
- Utilizing your controller, press the Xbox icon.
- Go to Settings > Profile & System.
- Pick Devices & Connections > Remote Features next.
- Check the box next to enable remote functionality.
- Choose Sleep under Power Choices under General.
Once you’ve done configuring your console, adhere to these instructions to connect your AirPods for remote play and enjoy the audio in-game:
Connect your mobile device or PC to your AirPods and controller via Bluetooth.
Start up your Xbox system
- On your smartphone, launch the Xbox app.
- In the top-right corner of the home screen, click the Xbox console symbol.
- Choose this device’s remote play option.
- When asked to try remote play, click Next or Continue.
- To enable remote play on your Xbox system, choose Enable when prompted.
- Hold off until the test is through.
How to Use a Bluetooth Adapter to Pair AirPods with an Xbox Series X or S
The benefit of connecting your Xbox console and AirPods via Bluetooth is that you can do away with the “hub” completely. Via the Bluetooth adaptor, the Xbox system will provide sound straight to the AirPods without the need for a third-party gadget. Particularly if your AirPods and adapter are using Bluetooth 5.0 or higher, this approach has less delay.
The inability of the Bluetooth adaptor to support the AirPods microphone is a drawback. You can still listen to game audio using this, but you won’t be able to use the AirPods microphone to speak. Thankfully, you have the option to use the built-in microphone that most Bluetooth dongles feature. Furthermore, not every Bluetooth adapter has the same features.
For instance, some only support Bluetooth controllers and don’t support headphones; they simply provide extra functions for wired headphones, such as controlling volume levels from the controller. If you already own a Bluetooth adapter, set it up as directed below to utilize it to pair your AirPods with your Xbox Series S or X system:
- Use your Xbox controller to connect the Bluetooth adaptor.
- Pressing the pairing button will start pairing mode.
- With both AirPods inside, open the charging case.
- A white LED will illuminate if you depress the setup button on the AirPods case.
- To determine whether the pairing is complete, watch for any changes in the LED lights on both devices.
How to Use the TV to Connect AirPods to an Xbox Series X or S
These days, many of the more recent smart TVs have Bluetooth connectivity, which is becoming a more popular feature. Because of this, they can effortlessly enable the audio connection between your Xbox Series X or S console and your AirPods.
To utilize your AirPods to hear your game audio, just pair them with your TV through Bluetooth. However, since it does not support in-game or party communication utilizing the AirPods’ microphone, that is the end of its capabilities. Here’s a general how-to for pairing your AirPods with a smart TV and an Xbox Series X or S console:
- Select Menu from the left sidebar after turning on your TV.
- Go to Settings.
- View the list of Bluetooth speakers.
- Hold down the setup button on the AirPods case until the LED flashes white, then open the charging case with both AirPods inside.
- To link your AirPods, choose them from the list and click Connect.
These workarounds, while not ideal, at least give you the option to utilize your AirPods to listen to game audio or have a discussion with friends. With any luck, you won’t have to shell out extra cash for a brand-new headset that costs far more than a Bluetooth adaptor, and you’ll be able to use your AirPods for gaming without any problems at all.
Have you given any of the suggested workarounds a try? How did you find it? We would adore to hear your opinions. Please feel free to share any workarounds you may have found successful in the comments area. You may find yourself assisting a friend or player!